Sunday, September 16, 2012

Song Crushes #2: Summer Loving


Summer has come to an end, but we're still receiving some beautiful weather over on this side of the world.  It's a good time to share with you some of the songs I've fallen in love with over the last couple of months.  These songs kind of illustrate what kind of summer I've had.  I'm definitely attached to a few of these on a deeper level.  Again to follow suit with the first Song Crushes post, I present you with 6 songs that my ears find delightful.  Hope you enjoy!  Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments.


Passion Pit - Constant Conversations (St. Lucia Remix):  This song is nothing but a slow motion strut.  Super chill, full of soul and blissful.  It's like really good dark chocolate.

Zee Avi - Concrete Wall (RAC Mix): I remember Zee Avi when she first posted videos to YouTube maybe 6 or 7 years ago.  She was living in Malaysia, singing and playing the ukelele in her bedroom, never revealing her face to her listeners.  Then she gained popularity and Jack Johnson caught wind of her amazing talent and signed her under his label.  It was a joy to find this rework of her song by RAC, whose music I also enjoy. Boom Shi Clack Clack anyone?



Tycho - A Walk:  This song came into my life shortly after the car accident I was in.  For a while there I didn't have much of an appetite, I could barely get a good nights rest and music didn't even sound good to me any more.  This song helped with whatever I was struggling with.  I remember getting up early one day, discovering this song and felt everything that I was bottling all up, instantly pouring out.  It was a release of negative energy; a much needed one at that.  Music is therapy.



Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness:  Oh Lana Del Rey, how I love you.  She helped ease the sorrow I was feeling when a bunch of employees were laid off at my workplace.  We lost a lot of people that I will dearly miss.  It is a strange and sad feeling to see so many wonderful and talented people vanish in one full swoop.  I remember hearing the news from a fellow colleague after returning from lunch one day and I couldn't help but burst into tears.  By that time most of everyone who had been laid off already had vacated the premises and I never had a chance to say goodbye.  We're still dealing with the after effects of such a huge lay-off, but I'm doing my best to keep focused and work hard.



Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix):  What a great remix of a song I already like in the first place.  I find it's rare for me to like a remix based off a song I'm madly in love with.  The lyrics still shine through strongly and the beat is married with some lovely new sounds.  I hope I can find more gems like this one :).



Ellie Goulding - High For This (The Weeknd Cover):  I listened to this version before listening to the original and I have to say that I like this far more than the original.  Interestingly enough I'm not fond of Ellie's original songs unless remixed.  This song was served up to me as an appetizer one afternoon before a fun night out with friends.  It's one I listen to often, especially if I'm getting ready for an adventure :).



Baauer - Harlem Shake: This is a new addition to my playlist favourites.  I didn't know what the Harlem Shake was until the bass in this song took full control of my body.  I know this isn't everyone's style of music, and it kind of surprised me that I liked it so much.  First listen I didn't fully connect to it, second listen through and I was hooked.  You definitely have to be in the right mood to appreciate how wonderful this track is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment