Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Things used to be so cheery around here.
I've been a long time fan of Harry Potter.  I first started reading the books in grade 8 and immediately fell in love.  J.K. Rowling is one spectacular author and many others would wholeheartedly agree.  It's a great feeling to share this story with people of all ages, (and I really do mean ALL ages,) and have them join in on the wonderful world and characters of Harry Potter and fall in love just as much.


  Some may think it's childish to read a series following a boy wizard, but I would have to disagree and tell those who are reluctant to pick up any of the books, based off that particular assumption, to open their minds up a little.  Yes it's a work of fiction, but I think the underlying messages, the relationships between the characters and the characters themselves are so well written that the reader can dive right in and find it believable.  The books make an easy connection to some real life tragedies, real relationships and real people.  Don't be afraid if there's some fantasy thrown into the mix, that's where the fun is, the mystery and the adventure...and not to get all psychological, but isn't that what life is about sometimes?  So take a risk, even if it's as simple as picking up a book and reading it.  Have some fun and let loose.

Put down the drugs kids and read an effin' book.
This weekend Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 released in theaters.  It was a pretty magical day altogether because it had started snowing that same night.  HP7 Part 1 made a whopping 125.1 million in weekend box office sales.  It totally smashed everything else that was in theaters, although I do agree with other web posts that it could be higher.

It's like the more money we come across, the more problems we see

The screening I went to, the room wasn't fully packed.  That may have been due to several screenings on opening night and I just happened to go to the last one within a smaller town.  I'm not complaining, as it's always a bit more comfy when the room isn't packed, but just surprised that it wasn't as busy as previous years.  Once the previews ended, the whole audience hushed each other into silence and we all felt each others excitement :).

Schoooo excited!
Synopsis: In an unexpected and tragic turn of events in the last film, the lives of young wizards and witch, Harry, Ron and Hermione, are greatly affected as well as the rest of the wizarding world.  This year the trio do not return to attend Hogwarts.  Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic are rapidly turning from bad to worse through Voldemort's control and their safety is merely existent wherever they choose to go.  Their main focus now is to end Voldemort's rise to power by hunting down and destroying the Horcruxes, which are the key to Voldemort's immortality.  With the knowledge, skills and clues left behind they band together in this seemingly dark, lost and lonely world to uncover the mystery of the Deathly Hallows and continue their fight for the greater good.

Run to the hills, run for your lives!


A story can be interpreted to film in many different ways and this is just one vision of that story crammed into a 2-3 hour timeline.  I really appreciate the hard work and effort these talented individuals put into making this story come to life.  If we were all so nit-picky about how that gets translated to film, then it really takes away that certain appreciation for the arts so many people tend to forget.  And with that said, here's my take on the film, without giving away too much. WARNING: To those who do not want an inklet of info about this latest HP film, you probably don't want to read further if that's the case.

I have to say that this film was one of the most beautifully shot.  Some of the scenes were breathtakingly gorgeous and would make for a good 2011 calendar. 

I do like myself a cool rock formation.
The film gets right to business and offers us a bit of humour for starters.  From then on it's fast paced and full of action.  Hold on to your seats for a bumpy ride!


David Yates did a tremendous job directing this film.  The feelings and tone captured throughout the film were perfect.  Yates definitely captured the darkness again.  There were a few times I jumped out my seat, held onto my seat and a couple scenes that made me feel nervous and uneasy.  If it wasn't for the PG-13 rating I'm sure this film would've included some imagery that would make it a whole heck of a lot darker.
I can do everything you can do, but better and in heels!
You might want to look up from this one Hermione!
The look of panic on Ron's face really stirs up some nerves in this chase scene.
One of my favorite scenes is with Harry and Hermione dancing in the tent together.  It was a very tender, sweet and awkward combination, that brought a warmth to the sadness and hopelessness that surrounded the two young friends.  

Insert "awww" here
The villains are bad as ever, but Bellatrix Lestrange takes the cake!



Overall the film met expectations.  The acting was great. I think Rupert Grint who plays Ron Weasley, really outdone himself this time round.  The costumes, make-up, visual effects, props, sets, lighting, music, sound, editing...everything was done beautifully.  I found myself entertained and never bored throughout the entire film and loved every bit of it.  I really can't wait for Part 2 which will be a bittersweet ending to the series.  At least we don't have to wait a full year for the next release!  Hope you enjoyed this little review and blog entry.  Happy Sunday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Carla! I love that you wrote about HP! I was also so, so excited to see it on the weekend and loved every minute! And now I think, if you're not opposed, I may link you on my little bloggeroo. Because clearly, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete